Thursday, February 9, 2012

Old Cradle

Mandy @ "Old Cradle"

Our family was never big on regular vacations or travels, but there was one trip where we all went to Utah to visit some of Dad's family. I don't remember much of it, as I was a young tyke, but I do remember the stream we (Dad, Grandma Lynda, and I) visited that everyone referred to as the "Old Cradle." When we went, it felt like a chunk of remote nature was carved out just for us that day. I felt so carefree and filled with awe. I think it was my first time to swim in a non-pool setting.

Dad was super crafty and made me a wooden boat to float on the stream. At one point, it drifted beyond my grasp and was quickly caught up in the current (and the riffles seemed like rapids to my short self). I remember the relief I felt when Dad when downstream and retrieved it and the impression from that incident has always resonated with me. I didn't let that boat out of my sight the entire rest of the day!

My Grandma Lynda and I made a little village out of mud, rocks, and whatever else we could find. I thought it was really cool to have an adult play in the mud with me and it was a complete blast. I haven't been to Utah since, but hope to return with my family. My memories of Old Cradle inspire me to create similar magical experiences for my daughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment